Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Transformative Writing Quotes

"I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions."
James Michener

*  *  *  *          
     
"One of the major sources of poetry for me was silence, all that's not spoken about . . . So the silences in our culture -- I think, in a  way, poems are sucked out of us by the magnetic attraction of that silence."
Sharon Olds

*  *  *  *

... And I came to poetry as a way of saving myself because I was so wretchedly discontent. It wasn't enough to be a housewife and mother. It didn't gratify great chunks of me."
Maxine Kumin
              
*  *  *  *
Pen

"I'm trying to accurately portray states of mind, ones of my own that I think might have a general application, and the movements of the mind and the way we think and forget and discover and forget some more."
John Ashbery


*  *  *  *

"Emily Dickinson affected me at my heart's core-- and does-- because what she writes about concerns me: the inability to get to heaven." 
Charles Wright

*  *  *  *

“Almost all our sadnesses are moments of paralysis of feeling when we can no longer hear our surprised feelings of living.”           
Rainer Maria Rilke

 *  *  *  *                                                      

"A   poem is a serious joke, a truth that has learned jujitsu. Anyone who breathes is in the     rhythm business; anyone who is alive is caught up in the imminences, the doubts mixed with the triumphant certainty, of poetry."                                             
William Stafford

*  *  *  *

"My poetry is, or should be, useful to me for one reason: it is the recording of my individual struggle from darkness toward some measure of light . . .  My poems are written for the love of man and in praise of God, and I’d be a damn fool if they weren’t.”
Dylan Thomas

 *  *  *  *

 “The whole universe is humming, is vibrating. It’s that hum that I want to hear. That’s the subject of my poems ... The words are like birds that perch on this frequency of sound."
Li Young-Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...